- Degree Overview
- Special Programs
- Student Resources
- Get Involved
- Professional & Career Resources
- New Students
- Degree Overview
- Student Resources
- Financial Support
- Graduate Student Directory
Annual Honors Convocation Recognizes Science Students and Faculty
Apr 16 2012
Dozens of School of Science students were recognized Saturday at the annual Honors Convocation, honoring scholarship winners and outstanding students across all science departments.
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs Dr. Kathy Marrs, also an associate professor of biology, served as the mistress of ceremonies. She spoke to the large crowd to congratulate the students and also thank the parents, friends and other family members in attendance for their support along the way.
Dean Simon Rhodes said faculty members particularly enjoy being able to recognize hard-working students through these awards and scholarships. The school’s reputation of excellence as Indiana’s leading research institution was built on the talented students and the leading teachers and researchers who mentor them, he said.
Keynote speaker, Eric Tinsley, an alumnus of the School of Science, challenged the students to live by three principles: academic integrity, grace, and courage. He currently serves as vice president of service delivery for Allegient.
“Living with academic integrity is really about producing real results for the money we earn,” Tinsley reminded the students. He also said they should always give their total commitment to work that benefits themselves and others.
“As scientists, we understand we stand on the shoulders of others. Great accomplishments are always the work of many,” Tinsley said.
Moving forward, the students should “pursue the things that really matter to you, even if they test your courage,” he added.
Tinsley is a longtime supporter of the school. He is a past president of the IUPUI School of Science Alumni Board and has received the IUPUI School of Science Outstanding Alumni Award.
The list below includes awards issued by the School of Science. The awards issued by the individual departments are not listed here.
School of Science Awards
- Teaching Award: Kathy Marrs, Ph.D., Biology
- Research Award: Yogesh Joglekar, Ph.D., Physics
- Service Award: John T. Hazer, Ph.D., Psychology
- Academic Advising Award: Jane Alexander, Biology
- Full-time Lecturer Teaching Award: Lin Zhu, Ph.D., Chemistry and Chemical Biology
- Full-time Lecturer Service Award: Keith Anliker, Chemistry; Robert Yost, Ph.D., Biology
- Associate Faculty Award: Suzanne Humphrey, Mathematical Sciences
- Partners in Education Full-time Staff Award: Suzanne Merrell, Biology
- Trustee Teaching Awards: (Tenured and tenure-track) Arjan Durresi, Ph.D., Computer and Information Science; Marvin Kemple, Ph.D., Physics; Alexey Kuznetsov, Ph.D., Mathematical Sciences; Robert Minto, Ph.D., Chemistry; (full-time lecturers) John Miller, Ph.D., Mathematical Sciences; Jennifer Nelson, Earth Sciences; John Ross, Ph.D., Physics.
- Teaching Assistant Awards: Courtney Johnson, Psychology; Prashant Srinivasan, Physics
- Chancellor’s Scholar Award: Joshua Horton, Chemistry
- John D. Barnwell Memorial Scholarship: Ninah Clegg, Biology
- Frank and Ernestine Lambertus Scholarships: Elizabeth Eme, Mathematics; Derrell Washington, Biology
- Robert W. Tuveson Memorial Scholarship: Tiffany Riddle, Biology
- D.J. Angus-Scientech Education Foundation Scholarship: Jacob DeWitt, Biology
- Indianapolis Project SEED Scholarships: Zita Erbowor-Becksen, Biology; Biak Chin Par, Chemistry; Charles Irving, Forensic and Investigative Sciences; Sui Tin Tial, Chemistry; and Ruben Naoye, Biology.
- Dean of Science Scholars: Patrick Burton, Computer and Information Science; Caris Daily, Mathematics Teaching; Eric Keller, Biology and Chemistry; Alyssa Miller, Psychology; and Hengameh Motevasel Olhagh, Biology
- Science Ambassadors Scholars: Sujay Chandorkar, Computer Science and Mathematics; Nadia Guerrero, Psychology; Stephanie Metcalf, Chemistry; Osato Ogbeifun, Biology; Daniel Popoola, Biology; Ashley Riley, Chemistry and Forensic Science; Kristyn Seibert, Biology; and Bryce Tomlinson, Physics.
More like this
- Department and School of Science Announce 2011-2012 Award Recipients
- School of Science Awards: Faculty & Staff
- The IUPUI Center for Research and Learning (CRL) Invites Nominations for Awards Recognizing Undergraduate Research
- Four Science Students Honored With Plater Medallion
- Science Represented Well at Chancellor's Honors Celebration