- Degree Overview
- Special Programs
- Student Resources
- Get Involved
- Professional & Career Resources
- New Students
- Degree Overview
- Student Resources
- Financial Support
- Graduate Student Directory
Pre-Health Professions + Prelaw Programs
At the School of Science at IUPUI, students seeking professional careers in medicine or healthcare are exposed to opportunities that no other school in the state of Indiana can offer.
Through comprehensive coursework, hands-on experience in the classroom and labs, one-on-one guidance from professors, and research and leadership opportunities in the School, five surrounding hospitals, the IU School of Medicine, IU School of Dentistry, and IU McKinney School of Law, graduates of the School of Science are well prepared for professional or graduate school and beyond!
CLASSROOM + LABORATORY LEARNING
- Faculty and staff at the School of Science provide an environment where students at all levels can explore, discover and learn through comprehensive coursework.
- While the Earth Sciences is highly accomplished in research and education, the learning environment remain small and intimate - providing 1:1 access to professors for extra learning and research opportunities
- As early as freshman year, students in the School of Science can engage in research with faculty mentors in school and across campus. Undergraduate researchers receive financial support, gain access to advanced lab equipment, and enjoy the opportunity to work one-on-one with renowned faculty. Many students present their research at national meetings, and their findings are occasionally published in scientific journals.
PREPARATION FOR PROFESSIONAL SCHOOLS
- Many courses in the School of Science are designed to help prepare students for professional programs at both Indiana University and Purdue University. Guidance from professors and advisors ensures students are fully prepared every step of the way.
- Interactive learning and student engagement provide a unique environment where students become leaders by teaching others.
- Students have access to the IU Medical School, IU Dental School, IU McKinney School of Law, and five hospitals on IUPUI's campus for learning experiences such as internships, job shadowing, research and more.
Why choose to major in science?
- The habits developed through the study of science are ones that will serve you for a lifetime. Scientific research requires not only evidence and logic, but also honesty, creativity, patience, and openness to new ideas. The problem-solving and reasoning skills you develop, as well as an increased understanding of science, will provide a great foundation for approaching any type of work and engaging your community.
- Many science undergraduate degrees are marketable to future employers even if the student chooses not to pursue professional schooling.
- Pre-requisites for most professional programs often favor and lean heavily toward STEM (science, math, engineering and technology) majors and many of the majors with the highest acceptance rates for law school are STEM majors.
Pre-Health Professional Programs
- Pre-Physical Therapy and Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assisting
- Pre-Veterinary Medicine
Pre-Professional & Pre-Health Professions Resources & Advising
While fulfilling your curriculum requirements for medical, dental or other professional schools, you can create your own undergraduate path to any of these careers and choose whatever major interests you most. Your path is up to you. To help you find it, the School of Science provides specialized pre-professional and career advisors.
Schedule an appoint with the Science PREPs Office to:
- Explore majors based on your interests, skills and values.
- Plan for graduate or professional (medical, dental, pharmacy, law) school.
- Find jobs, internships and job-shadowing programs.
Email email@example.com or call 317-274-5677.
Pre-Professional & Career Preparation for Science Students
For More Information or to
Schedule an Appointment
Call 317-274-5677 or complete the contact form.
University Tower (HO) Suite 200
850 W. Michigan Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 5:00pm
Mondays and Thursdays from 2:00pm - 4:00pm