Thomas Rossbach, Ph.D.Lecturer, Department of Earth Sciences
- B.S. in Geology, Dickinson College (1983)
- M.S. in Geology, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (1987)
- Ph.D. in Geology, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (1992)
Courses Taught / Teaching
- GEOL-G110 Physical Geology
- Course Coordinator for GEOL-G120 Physical Geology Laboratory
- GEOL-G107 Environmental Geology
- GEOL-G180 Dinosaurs
- Late Devonian (Frasnian-Famennian) extinction event as recorded in the central Appalachian basin.
Publications & Professional Activities
Rossbach, T. J. 2014. Preservation of charred wood near Elkins, West Virginia: evidence of a Devonian forest fire? Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, 46(3):1-2.
Rossbach, T. J, and San Juan, F. C. 2012. An Integrated Approach to Earth Science Principles for Middle School Students in Northeastern North Carolina. Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, 44(7):180.
Rossbach, T. J. 2011. Paleoenvironmental signals relating to recognition of the Late Devonian Frasnian-Famennian stage boundary in the Foreknobs Formation of Virginia and West Virginia. Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, 43(1):138.
Rossbach, T. J. and San Juan, F. C. 2011. What's a mountain? Challenges in teaching geology in northeastern North Carolina. Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, 43(2):75.
Rossbach, T. J. 2010. Late Devonian stratigraphy and paleontology near Elkins, West Virginia. Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, 42(1):126.
Porter, W. A., Rossbach, T. J., and Cornelius, W. L. 2007. The relationship between content preparation and literacy of science teachers and high school enrollment size. Research in Geographic Education 9(2):72-103.
Rossbach, T. J. 2006. Uses of Zeno's "Achilles Paradox" in historical geology. Journal of Geoscience Education, 54(1):5-9.
Rossbach, T. J., and Brewton, A. D. 2005. Paleobiology of the Elkins Northwest section; p. 98-109 in Dennison, J. M. (ed.), Geologic Filed Guide to Devonian Stratigraphy and Hydrocarbon Geology near U.S. Route 250 in West Virginia and Virginia. American Association of Petroleum Geologists, Eastern Section Meeting, Morgantown, West Virginia, 179 p.
Porter, W., and Rossbach, T. J. 2003 Does size make a difference? Variations in the preparation and literacy of high school earth science teachers. The North Carolina Geographer, 11:10-19
Rossbach, T. J. 1996. Fantasia and our changing views of dinosaurs. Journal of Geoscience Education, 44:13-17.
- Paleontological Society (1989-present)
- Paleontological Research Institution (1989-present)
- Society of Vertebrate Paleontology (2002-present)
- Geological Society of America (2002-present)
Honors, Awards and Grants
- Department of Geological, Environmental and Marine Science Teacher of the Year 2005-2006 for Excellence in Teaching (ESCU, 2006)
- American Association of Paleontological Suppliers Jim (James W.) Welch Scholarship Award (AAPS, 1991)
- R. Jerry Britt Award in Coastal Plain Geology (UNC-CH, 1989)